Ingredients for Baked Vada :
1 cups Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 table-spoon Rice flour
5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 table-spoon ginger, minced
1 table-spoon Fennel seeds (Saunf / soambu)
2-3 green chillies, chopped
8-10 Coriander Leaves, chopped
salt to taste
Oil for brushing
How to make Baked Vada :
- Soak Chana Dal in water for 2-3 hours. Drain water and grind it with ginger, green chillies and fennel seeds. Coarsely grind it to a thick paste.
- Take this mixture in a bowl and add rice flour, onion, garlic, coriander leaves and salt. Mix the batter properly.
- Take a handful of vada batter and give it a round shape. Press firmly with the palms of your hands to form the shape of a thin flattened vada. Repeat the procedure for the remaining batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Place the baking sheet over the baking tray. Brush the baking sheet with oil.
- Place the flattened vada on top of the sheet. Brush the top with oil. Bake them from both sides by turning with wooden spatula for 15-20 minutes or till they get golden brown.
- Serve Baked Vada hot with tomato sauce or chutney.