Date chutney is also known as Khajoor ki chutney. Date is a very healthy dry fruit and it is sweet in flavour, so the presence of tamarind in date chutney gives a very tangy sweet flavour. Try the authentic recipe of Date chutney sometimes pronounced as Tamarind date chutney shown below.
Ingredients for Date / Khajoor Chutney:
250 gms. Dates (Khajoor)
1 table-spoon tamarind pulp (Imli ka guda)
3 t-spoon raisins (kishmish)
2 table-spoon blanched almonds, grounded (Badam, skin removed)
1 cup vinegar (Sirka)
1 t-spoon ginger, finely chopped (Adrak)
1 Clove, grounded (Laung)
1 big cardamom, grounded (Moti Elaichi)
a pinch of red chili powder
a pinch of grounded cinnamon (Dal chini)
1/2 cup sugar
2 t-spoon salt or to taste
How to make Date / Khajoor Chutney:
- Take out the seed of dates and cut them into halves.
- Take a frying pan and add vinegar, dates, ginger, chilli powder, clove, cardamom, cinnamon and salt. Cook them on medium heat until dates gets soft. Stir frequently.
- Then, add tamarind, sugar, raisins and almond and cook on low heat until chutney starts getting thick, stir frequently.
- Turn off the heat and pour Date chutney in air tight glass jar.
- Date chutney will be ready to serve after a week of storage.