Ingredients for South Indian Black Channa Masala :
250 grams Kala Chana (Black channa)
2 onions, chopped
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
1/2 cup grated coconut
15-20 curry leaves
4 table-spoon coconut oil
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
3-4 Red chillies
1/4 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
1/2 t-spoon coriander powder (pisa dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 t-spoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
How to make South Indian Black Chana Masala :
- Keep Black Channa in water for 6 hours before cooking it. Then cook it in a pressure cooker by adding a pinch of salt to it. Cook until it gets soft. Don't throw the water after cooking it.
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and heat coconut oil in it. Saute Onions and mustard seeds on medium heat.
- Then, add red chillies, curry leaves and garlic paste. Cook further on low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric and chili powder and stir it well. Cook further on low heat for couple of minutes.
- Add grated coconut and Black Channa along with 1/2 cup water in which you have boiled Black Channa. Close it with a lid while cooking. Cook on low heat until water gets completely absorbed and forms a thick masala gravy.
- Serve South Indian Black Chana Masala hot with chapati or rice.