Poha is a famous traditional recipe in North India made with flaked rice. It is a very light and healthy recipe and is enjoyed both as breakfast or as an evening snack.
Ingredients for Poha:
2 cups Flaked Rice (Poha)
1 Potato (finely diced)
2 Onions (finely chopped)
1/2 cup split Groundnuts
5-6 Green Chillies (split)
1 tea-spoon mustard seeds
1/2 tea-spoon turmeric powder
1 stalk Curry leaf
2 table-spoon Coriander leaves
1 tea-spoon Lime juice
2 1/2 table-spoon Oil
Salt to taste
How to make Poha:
- Wash the poha 1-2 times, drain in a wide colander (channi) and keep aside.
- After 10 minutes, gently break the lumps with fingers and toss the poha a few times.
- Heat 1/2 tea-spoon of oil in a kadhai or frying pan.
- Add the groundnuts and fry for 2-3 minutes till it turns light brown. Draw out the groundnuts when done and keep aside.
- In the same pan, pour the remaining oil and heat it.
- Add the mustard seeds, green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Now add the chopped onions and cook till it becomes soft and translucent.
- Add the potatoes and saute for a minute. Sprinkle some salt, add a tablespoon of water and cover with a lid and let the potatoes cook over a low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the fried groundnuts.
- Now add turmeric powder and stir all the ingredients well.
- Reduce the flame and add the washed poha and properly mix all the ingredients till evenly mixed.
- Sprinkle salt as per taste and pour lime juice.
- Serve hot by garnishing it with chopped coriander leaves and sev.