Punjabi Kheer Recipe is the festival dessert cooked specially in raksha bandhan, deepawali and other Punjabi festivals.
Ingredients of Punjabi Kheer:
1 liter milk, Whole
5 table-spoon sugar or to taste
1/4 cup Basmati rice
10 unsalted pistachios (pista)
10-15 strands saffron (Kesar)
10-12 cashews, broken into 2 pieces (Kaju)
10 almonds (Badam)
1/4 t-spoon cardamom powder (Ilaichi powder)
10-15 pieces raisins (kishmish)
2 table-spoon tender coconut, chopped (Pani wala nariyal)
1 table-spoon ghee
How to make Punjabi Kheer:
- Wash the rice and soak it for 30 mins.
- Crush and soak the saffron strands in 1 t-spoon warm milk. Crush almonds and pistachios coarsely.
- Start Boiling rice in plenty of water till half done. Remove water, and spread rice on a plate to cool it down.
- Take 1 table-spoon ghee in a small frying pan and fry cashews and almonds on low heat for 2-3 mins.
- Heat milk in a large pan, bring it to boil. Add rice to milk and stir it firmly until it again started boiling, keep it to low heat, stirring occasionally, to keep rice from sticking to bottom. Allow rice to cook fully, but not get sticky.
- Add sugar, raisins, cardamom, cashews, saffron, almonds and pistachios.
- Stir it well until the sugar grains disappear in milk, simmer for 2 minutes. Then, turn off the heat.
- Garnish Punjabi Kheer with chopped coconut.
- Serve Punjabi Kheer hot or let it get cool at room temperature. You can also refrigerate Punjabi Kheer for 1 hour and serve it cool.