Ingredients for Punjabi Chana (Chole) Masala :
250 grams Chana (Chickpeas / Chole)
1 potato (Aloo)
2 green chillies, chopped
1 t-spoon ginger paste (Adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
10-15 coriander leaves, chopped (dhaniya patti)
4 table-spoon oil
1/2 cup water
salt to taste
2 teabags (Optional, it makes chana black in colour)
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon chana masala powder
1/2 t-spoon coriander (pisa dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric (haldi)
1 cinnamon stick
1 tej patta (Bay leaf)
3-4 peppercorn (Khadi kali mirch)
How to make Punjabi Channa (Chhole) Masala :
- Keep chana in water for 6 hours. Then, cook it in a pressure cooker by adding a pinch of salt and 2 teabags to it. Cook until it gets soft. Drain water from chana but don't throw it.
- Boil potato in a cooker and cut them into small cubes. Make a puree of tomato and onion separately using a blender.
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and heat oil in it. When it starts heating up put the heat to low, add onion paste, peppercorn, tej patta, cumin and cinnamon stick to it, stir it. Cook on low-medium heat until onion gets golden brown. Stir occasionally so that it should not burnt from the bottom.
- Then, add chopped green chillies, tomato, ginger and garlic paste. Cook further on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, chana masala powder and chili powder and stir it well. Cook further on low heat for couple of minutes.
- Add potatoes and chana (Chhole) to the pan. Along with that add 1 cup of stored water and cook until water is completely absorbed and becomes a thick gravy. Close it with a lid while cooking. Stir occasionally.
- Just before 2 minutes of completion, add garam masala and turmeric powder to the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle Punjabi Channa (Chole) masala with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti or rice.