Starting from October to the end of march Matar paneer is one of the favorite dish of Indian homes. Matar paneer sabzi can be cooked with curry or without curry.
Ingredients for Matar Paneer:
150 gms Paneer, cut it into medium sized cubes (Cottage cheese)
1 cup green peas (Mutter / Matar)
1 large onion
2-3 pieces garlic (lahsun)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric (Haldi)
1 t-spoon ginger (adrak)
1 t-spoon Coriander, powdered (Dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala
1/4 t-spoon pepper powder (kali mirch)
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
1/2 t-spoon red chili powder
1 cup water
2 1/2 table-spoon oil
1 green chili
2 medium sized tomatoes
10-15 coriander leaves (dhaniya patti)
salt to taste
How to make Matar Paneer:
- Take a grinder and add onion, ginger, green chili, tomato and garlic to it, and blend them to form a paste. keep it aside.
- Take 1/2 table-spoon oil in a frying pan and heat it. When it gets heated up, turn the heat to low and add paneer cubes to it. fry them until they get light brown. Then, turn off the heat and keep them aside.
- Take 2 table-spoon oil in a non-stick frying pan and put it over high heat. When it gets heated up, turn the heat to low and add bay leaf, stir well and fry for a minute
- Then, add onion paste to the pan and put it over low-medium heat, cook until the oil separates from the mixture and it turns golden brown, Stir the gravy every 2 mins. so that it should not burnt from the bottom.
- Now, add turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, and salt to taste. Stir it well and cook it over low-medium heat for 2 mins.
- Then, add peas and water to it, stir again. Cook on medium heat by covering the lid until the peas gets properly cooked, Stir occasionally. Add some more water, if needed.
- Add fried paneer and pepper, stir again. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 mins. then turn off the heat.
- Matar paneer is ready to eat. Garnish Matar Paneer with finely chopped coriander leaves and grated paneer.
- Serve Matar Paneer hot with chapati, tandoori roti or pulao.