Karnataka Sambar Powder is also known as Huli Pudi. There are lot of places like Udupi and Mysore which has the unique flavour of Sambar, uses this recipe of Sambar Masala Powder.
Ingredients for Karnataka Sambar Powder :
1/4 cup coriander seeds (Dhaniya)
1 table-spoon Urad dal (Black Grams)
3 table-spoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
5-6 Red chillies (Khadi lal mirch)
1/4 t-spoon Whole black pepper (Kali Mirch)
a small piece of Cinnamon (Dal Chini)
1 table-spoon grated Coconut (dry Copra)
1/2 t-spoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
a pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
How to make Karnataka Sambar Powder :
- Roast together all the ingredients except Copra (Coconut) till they give a nice blend.
- Roast dry Coconut separately for a minute or two.
- Then, mix Coconut properly along with the remaining ingredients and cool to room temperature.
- Grind all the roasted ingredients together to a smooth powder.
- Karnataka Sambar Masala Powder is ready to use in Huli Podi.
- Store it in an airtight glass jar.
- The above recipe can be used to make Mysore and Udupi Sambar (Huli).