Rice kheer is a very popular Indian dessert. Rice kheer is also known as Indian rice pudding or chawal ki kher. It can be made using whole milk, Condensed milk or Milkmaid. Most of the time it is served after a heavy Indian food at lunch or dinner. It is one of the most common type of kheer that is cooked on many occasions like Diwali, Holi or Rakhi.
Ingredients for Rice Kheer:
1 liter milk, Whole or (1/2 liter Condensed milk + 1/2 liter water)
1/4 cup Rice (Chawal)
3/4 cup sugar
10 almonds (Badam)
8-10 pieces raisins (kishmish)
10 unsalted pistachios (pista)
10-15 strands saffron, crushed, soaked in 1 tsp. warm milk
1/4 t-spoon cardamom powder (Ilaichi powder)
2 table-spoon tender coconut, grated or chopped (Pani wala nariyal)
How to make Rice Kheer:
- Wash the rice and soak it for 30 mins.
- Crush and soak the saffron strands in 1 t-spoon warm milk. Crush almonds and pistachios coarsely.
- Start Boiling rice in plenty of water till half done. Remove water, and spread rice on a plate to cool it down.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan, bring it to boil. Add rice to milk and stir it firmly until it again started boiling, keep it to low heat, stirring occasionally, such that it should not stick to the bottom of the pan. Allow rice to cook fully, but not get sticky.
- Add sugar, raisins, cardamom, saffron, almonds and pistachios. Stir it well until the sugar grains disappear in milk, simmer for 2 minutes. Then, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle Rice Kheer with grated or chopped coconut.
- Serve Rice Kheer hot or cool to room temperature. You can also refrigerate rice kheer for 1 hour and serve it cool.