Moong dal kheer is a sweet indian dessert cooked with rice, coconut, jaggery and other ingredients. Moong dal kheer is also known as Moong dal payasam.
Ingredients for Moong Dal Kheer/Payasam:
1/2 cup Moong dal (dhuli moong)
1/3 cup coconut, grated (Pani wala nariyal)
10-15 coconut pieces, chopped
1 cup Jaggery, grated (Gudh)
1 table-spoon rice, soaked in water for 30 mins.
1 table-spoon ghee
1/2 t-spoon cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
5 cashews (kaju)
8-10 pieces raisins (Kishmish)
How to make Moong Dal Kheer/Payasam:
- Take a grinder and add grated coconut to it, remove water from soaked rice and add rice to the grinder, add little water and grind the mixture properly to form a thick paste. Keep it aside
- Cook dal in pressure cooker with plain water for two whistles. After it gets cool, blend it properly in a blender to form a paste.
- Take 1 table-spoon ghee in a small frying pan and fry cashew pieces in it. Keep it aside
- Take a thick bottom pan and add 1 cup water and jaggery to it, stir well and boil it on low flame.
- After 2 mins. add coconut rice paste to the pan, stir the mixture gently so that it does not form any lumps. Cook on low heat for 5-7 mins.Add some water if needed.
- Then, add cooked dal to the pan, stir again softly and cook further on low heat for 5 mins. Add some water if needed.
- Now add chopped coconut pieces, cardamom, raisins, cashews along with the remaining ghee to the pan. Mix well and cook further for 2-3 mins. Then, turn off the heat.
- You can also continue heating Moong Dal Kheer/Payasam to achieve the desired thickness. (Optional)
- Serve Moong Dal Kheer/Payasam hot.