Makhana or makhane ki kheer recipe gives a very soft and sweet flavour. One of my favourite kheer recipe.
Ingredients for Makhana Kheer:
1 cup Makhana (lotus seeds)
1 liter Whole milk
4 table-spoon sugar or to taste
1/4 t-spoon cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
5-6 pieces unsalted pistachios (pista)
10-15 strands saffron, crushed, soaked in 1 tsp. warm milk (Kesar) (optional)
5 almonds (Badam)
8-10 pieces raisins (Kishmish)
1 table-spoon ghee
How to make Makhana Kheer:
- Crush and soak the saffron strands in 1 t-spoon warm milk. Crush almonds and pistachios coarsely or slice them properly.
- Take a small fry pan and heat ghee in it. Put the heat to low and add makhana to it, fry them by stirring makhane continuously for 2-3 mins. or until their colour gets changed.
- Heat milk, bring it to boil. Put the heat to medium and reduce milk to its half ie. around 500-600 ml.
- Add Makhana, sugar, raisins, cardamom, saffron, almonds and pistachios. Stir it well until the sugar grains disappear in milk, simmer for 5 minutes. Then, turn off the heat.
- Serve Makhana Kheer hot or let it get cool at room temperature. You can also refrigerate Makhana kheer for 1 hour and serve it cool.