Ingredients for Payar Thoran (Kerala style) :
3 cups Long yard beans, finely chopped (Barbatti/Payar)
1 cup Grated coconut (Thenga)
1 medium sized Onion, finely chopped (Ulli)
A pinch Cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
8-10 curry leaves
Salt-As per taste
How to make Payar Thoran :
- Mix the grated coconut, onion, cumin seeds and grind them coarsely in a mixer.
- Heat oil in a pan. Pop mustard seeds and add curry leaves and onions and stir.
- Add the chopped beans (Payar) and stir for a minute.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Now add the coconut mixture, salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle some water and cover with lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
- When the mixture starts slightly sticking to the bottom of the pan, garnish it with coconut oil and mix well.
- Payar thoran is ready to be served with rice.