Ingredients for Kerala Appam :
2 cups Rice
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 glass fermented coconut water/ 1 tsp yeast
2 Cups grated Coconut
1/2 cup milk
3-4 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
1 1/2 table-spoon Oil to make each dosa
How to make Pal Appam / Vellayappam :
Prepare a Dosa Batter :
- Rinse the rice with water 4-5 times and soak them in water for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain water and grind the mixture to a very fine paste, adding coconut water (or yeast dissolved in little lukewarm water) and milk in between until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Pour the mixture in a large bowl till the half level mark. Cover it and allow it to ferment overnight at room temperature.
- Next Morning, the batter will rise from its level and becomes very creamy and fluffy. This indicates that it got fermented (Khameer) properly. If the batter is thick, add coconut milk to the mixture and make a dosa batter consistency.
Making Appam :
- Heat Appa chatti or Appam kadai over medium-high flame till the kadai is sufficiently hot.
- Now, spread 1 table-spoon of oil on the kadai. Pour 1/2 cup of appam batter on the pan, swirl the pan, swirl once or twice to make a round shape. The middle portion should be thicker with a thin outer lace.
- Cover dosa with a lid and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Dosa should be soft from the center and thin from the sides.
- Roast the dosa on one side only and remove dosa when the edges of the thin side turns light brown or light brown patches appear on dosa.
- Pal Appam / Vellayappam is ready to serve with egg curry/chicken curry/vegetable curry etc.