Rava (Suji) Idli can be made instantly, unlike normal rice idli which takes 15-20 hours of preperation. Also, Rawa (Sooji) is healthy and light to your stomach as compared to rice.
Ingredients for Rava (Suji) Idli :
2 cups Rava (Suji)
2 cups Yogurt
10-15 Coriander Leaves (Dhaniya Patti)
1 Carrot, medium size, finely chopped (Gajar)
1/4 tea-spoon baking soda
Oil for greasing
salt to taste
For seasoning :
1 table-spoon Ginger (Adrak)
2-3 Green chillies, chopped
1 tea-spoon Urad dal
1 tea-spoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
a pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
15-20 Curry Leaves (Kadhi Patta)
2 table-spoon cooking oil
How to make Rava (Suji) idli :
To Make Idly Batter :
- To Prepare seasoning, heat oil in a kadhai and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add hing and urad dal to it.
- After a minutes or two, add ginger, chopped green chillies and curry leaves to the pan.
- Now, add rava and roast it properly on low flame until colour of rava changes.
- Turn off the flame and allow the mixture to get cool.
- Now, add yogurt, coriander leaves, carrot, baking soda and salt to the mixture. Mix properly by adding water in little quantity to achieve the desired consistent batter.
- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes before making idli.
To Cook Idlis :
- Take an idli Maker and grease it with little oil.
- Fill the mould with Rava Idli batter and steam cook them for 8-10 minutes or until it gets cooked properly from inside.
- Remove them immeditely from the mould and serve it with green chutney.