Kanchipuram Idli is also known as Kancheepuram or Kanjeevaram Idli. The idli is usually made in form of a large cake, which is then sliced into idlis of equal size.
Ingredients for Kancheepuram Idli :
3 cups Idli Rice
1 cup Normal Rice
2 cups Dhuli Urad Dal (split black lentils withour skin)
1/2 table-spoon Whole Black Pepper, crushed (Kali Mirch)
1 t-spoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1 t-spoon Grated Ginger (Adrak)
Oil for greasing
salt to taste
How to make Kanchipuram idli :
To Make Idly Batter :
- Combine both types of rice and dal, wash them properly and soak overnight.
- Next Morning, grind them to a smooth paste (a bit course batter).
- Now, add salt to this batter and keep it in a warm place for 5-6 hours for fermenting. (At the time of winter, fermentation may take upto 8 hours).
- Add crushed black pepper seeds, cumin and ginger to the batter and mix it properly.
To Cook Idlis :
- You need a large enough bowl which can hold the complete batter to steam cook it.
- Grease this bowl with oil and pour Idli batter in it.
- Steam cook it for 20 minutes or so, or till tooth pick comes out clear.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes, then cut it into 6-8 pieces of equal size.
- Kanchipuram Idli is ready to serve with Idli Podi.