Ingredients for Gujarati Dal :
1 cup Toor Dal (Arhar / Yellow Dal )
1 tomato, chopped
1 table-spoon Jaggery or to taste
1 table-spoon chopped ginger (Adrak)
2 green chillies, chopped
1 t-spoon lime juice
2 table-spoon cooking oil
4 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon mustard seeds (Rai)
1/4 t-spoon asafoetida (Hing)
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Gujarati Dal :
- Wash Toor Dal 3-4 times with water and soak for 30 mins. After 30 mins. drain water from the bowl.
- Cook toor dal in a large pan along with 4 cup water, turmeric and a pinch of salt to it, cook it over medium-high heat until Toor Dal gets tender.
- Now, for the tadka, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds, asafoetida, mustard and chopped green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs. Fry until the seeds splutter.Now, you need to add chopped tomatoes and ginger to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add cooked Toor Dal, turmeric, jaggery, lime juice and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 8-10 mins. or until the Toor Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved.
- Gujarati Toor Dal is ready to serve.