Tomato dosa or Thakkali Dosa (Thakkali stands for tomato in Malayalam and Tamil) is a delicious crispy dosa which incorporates tomato in the usual dosa batter. It is a quick-to-make dosa recipe which does not require any fermentation. The tomato in the batter lends the dosa its tangy and yummy taste.
Tomato dosa can be made in 2 ways. The first method involves grinding the dosa rice along with the tomato and to use it instantly to make dosa since it does not need any fermentation.
The other method is mixing tomato puree and the masalas along with the idli batter. and then making dosa.
You can opt for any method since crispy Tomato dosa can be enjoyed in either way along with chutney and sambar.
Ingredients for Tomato Dosa :
2 cups Idli rice
1 onion small (chopped)
2 Green chillies, chopped
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/4 t-spoon red chilli powder
a pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
salt to taste
2 table-spoon Oil to make each dosa
10-15 coriander leaves, chopped (Dhaniya patti)
How to make Tomato Dosa :
Preparing Dosa Batter :
- Wash rice with water 4-5 times. Soak it in water for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain water and grind rice along with tomatoes to a very fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. To this add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, onions and saute them til onions turn translucent.
- Pour this tempering to the rice batter and and mix thoroughly.
- Add little water to make a thin batter (consistency should be that of a pan cake).
Making Tomato Dosa :
- Heat Dosa tava or non-stick flat pan over medium-high flame. Sprinkle few drops of water to check whether the pan is sufficiently hot or not. When the water drops starts cracking, rub the pan with a cloth.
- Now spread 1 table-spoon oil on the pan. Take 1/2 cup of dosa batter and spread it properly in circular motion to form a medium thick dosa on a hot pan.
- After 2 minutes, add 1 table-spoon oil more on the dosa crust and flip to other side. Cook dosa from both sides.
- Crispy Tomato Dosa is ready to serve with chutney and Sambar.