Ingredients for Onion Dosa :
1 cup Idli rice
1/2 cup Normal rice
1/2 cup Urad dal
salt to taste
1 1/2 table-spoon Oil to make each dosa
For Onion Filling :
2 Onions, chopped
2 Green chillies, chopped
10-15 coriander leaves, chopped (Dhaniya patti)
1/2 t-spoon Cumin powder (Jeera powder)
salt to taste
How to make Onion Dosa :
Prepare a Dosa Batter :
- Mix Rice and urad dal, wash them with water 4-5 times. Soak them in water for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain water and grind the mixture to a very fine paste. Add salt and mix the batter properly.
- Cover it and keep it at room temperature, allow it to ferment for 12 hours or overnight. Keep it in a large bowl with only half filled with the grinned mixture.
- Next Morning, the batter will rise from its level and becomes very creamy. This shows that it got fermented (Khameer) properly.
Prepare an Onion Filling :
- In a medium size bowl add chopped onions, green chillies, cumin powder, coriander leaves and salt.
- Mix them properly with hands.
Make Onion Dosa :
- Heat Dosa tava or non-stick flat pan over medium-high flame. Sprinkle few drops of water to check whether the pan is sufficiently hot or not. When the water drops starts cracking, rub the pan with a cloth.
- Now spread 1 table-spoon of oil on the pan. Take 1/2 cup of dosa batter and spread it properly in circular motion to form a circle on a hot pan.
- After a minute sprinkle 2 table-spoon Onion filling on the dosa. Add 1/2 table-spoon oil on the sides of dosa.
- Flip the dosa to other side, cook the dosa from both sides until light brown patches appears on dosa.
- Hot Onion Dosa is ready to serve with chutney and Sambar.