South Indian Kal Dosa or Dosai is very easy to make as it does not require any masala or vegetables. Salt and Fenugreek seeds are used to give flavour to the dosa. Use of Parboiled rice differentiates it from other forms of dosa.
Ingredients for Kal Dosa :
1 cup Parboiled rice
1/2 cup Raw Rice
1/2 cup urad dal
1 t-spoon Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
salt to taste
1 1/2 table-spoon Oil to make each dosa
How to make Kal Dosa :
Prepare a Dosa Batter :
- Mix raw Rice and urad dal, wash them with water 4-5 times. Add parboiled rice to this mixture. Soak them in water for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain water, add fenugreek seeds to the mixture and grind the mixture to a very fine paste. Add salt and mix the batter properly.
- Cover it and keep it at room temperature, allow it to ferment for 8 hours or overnight. Keep it in a large bowl with only half filled with the grinned mixture.
- Next Morning, the batter will rise from its level and becomes very creamy. This shows that it got fermented (Khameer) properly.
Make Kal Dosa :
- Heat Dosa tava or non-stick flat pan over medium-high flame. Sprinkle few drops of water to check whether the pan is sufficiently hot or not. When the water drops starts cracking, rub the pan with a cloth.
- Now spread 1 table-spoon of oil on the pan. Take 1/2 cup of dosa batter and spread it properly in circular motion to form a very thin circle on a hot pan. This will form a thin crust of kal dosa.
- Add 1/2 table-spoon oil more on the dosa crust. After 2 minutes or so, you will find brown spots on dosa. Immediately flip the 2 sides of the dosa one over the other. Cook from only one side.
- Crispy Kal Dosa is ready to serve with chutney and Sambar.