Indian Moong ki Dal is also known as Split Green Gram or Mung Bean Curry.
Ingredients for Moong Dal :
1/2 cup Moong Dal (Split Green Gram)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 green chillies, chopped
8-10 cloves garlic, chopped (lahsun)
2 table-spoon oil
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
2 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
2/3 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
1/4 t-spoon garam masala
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Moong Dal :
- Wash Moong Dal 3-4 times with water and keep it in a bowl. Add enough water to cover Moong Dal and soak for 15 mins. Drain water from the bowl.
- Now, take a Pressure cooker and add 2 cup water, Moong Dal, turmeric and a pinch of salt to it, cook it over medium-high heat and pressure cook for about 15 mins. or until Moong Dal gets tender.
- Now, for the tadka, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds and chopped green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs.Then add onion, garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring continuously. Add, chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- Now, add Red Chilli Powder, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric powder. Stir well.
- After a minute add Moong Dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 8-10 mins. or until the Moong Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture. Now add garam masala and cook further for 2 mins.
- Serve Moong Dal hot with roti, chapati and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.