Split Masoor dal is also known as Indian Split Red Lentil because of its pinkish red colour. To make it more spicy increase the quantity of red chili powder in Masur dal.
Ingredients for Masoor Dal:
1 cup Split Red Masoor dal (split red lentils)
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 green chillies, chopped
1 t-spoon garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
2 table-spoon oil
salt to taste
3 cup water
Herbs and spices :
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
1/4 t-spoon pepper (optional, if want some spicy touch)
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/4 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
How to make Masoor Dal :
- Wash Masoor dal 3-4 times with water and drain the water.
- Now take a thick bottom pan and add 3 cup water, Split Masoor dal, turmeric ,pepper and cook it over medium-high heat. Bring it to boil. Now reduce the heat to low, cover it with a lid and simmer for about 25-30 mins. or until it gets cooked.(If you are cooking split red masoor then the it will take 15-20 mins. to get tender).
- Now, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat. After a minute add cumin seeds and chopped green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs.Then add onion, garlic, red chili powder and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring frequently. Add, chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- When it changes its color, add cooked Masoor dal mixture to the large frying pan and turn the heat to low, stir it well, cover the pan and cook further for 10 mins. or until the dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture.
- Serve hot with rice, pulao or roti.