Lauki Chana Dal Recipe is a healthy dal recipes because of the presence of Lauki in it. In India, Lauki is also known as Dudhi and its english name is bottle gourd.
Ingredients for Dudhi (Lauki) Chana Dal :
1 cup (250 gms.) Chana Dal (Gram lentils)
1/2 cup Lauki, cubed into small pieces (Bottle Gourd / Dudhi)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 table-spoon, grated ginger (adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
2 table-spoon oil
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
4 cup water
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin powdered (jeera)
2/3 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala (optional, if want to make more masala rich chana dal)
1/2 t-spoon pepper (optional, if want some sort of throat touching spicy dal)
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Dudhi (Lauki) Chana Dal :
- Wash Chana Dal 3-4 times with water and keep it in a bowl. Add enough water to cover Chana Dal and soak for 30 mins. After 30 mins. drain water from the bowl.
- Now, take a pressure cooker and add 4 cup water, Chana Dal, Lauki, turmeric, pepper, powdered cumin and coriander to it and cook it over medium-high heat for about 15-20 mins. or until Chana Dal and Dudhi (Lauki) gets cooked.
- Now, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds, stir it for 15-30 secs.Then add onion, ginger, garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins. on low flame, stirring frequently
- When it changes its color add cooked Chana Dal and coriander powder to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 8-10 mins. or until the Chana Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture. Now add garam masala, stir well and further cook for 2 mins.
- Serve Dudhi (Lauki) Chana Dal hot with rice, pulao or roti and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.