Ingredients for Dal Maharani :
1 cup mixed Chana Dal, Rajma and Whole Urad Daal
1 onion, finely chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 table-spoon, grated ginger (adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
2 table-spoon oil
2 table-spoon butter
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
1/4 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya powder)
How to make Dal Maharani :
- Wash Mixed Dals 3-4 times with water and keep them in water for 5-6 hours.
- Pressure cook dal mixture with 4 cups water over medium-high heat for about 45-50 mins. or until they get tender. Mash them properly.
- Now, for the tadka, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds and green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs. Then add onion, ginger, garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring continuously. Add coriander powder, chopped tomatoes and Red Chilli Powder to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add Mashed Dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and boil further for 8-10 mins.
- Add butter to the dal and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Serve Dal Maharani hot with rice, pulao or tandoori roti.