Chana Saag is also known as Chickpea Spinach Curry, sometimes pronounced as Chana Saag Recipe or Channa Sag. Chana Saag is a very healthy Indian recipe.
Ingredients for chana saag (Chickpea Spinach Curry):
500 gms chickpeas (Chana)
2 potatos, cooked and cubed
1/2 t-spoon cumin (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric (haldi)
1 t-spoon ginger paste
1 t-spoon garlic paste
1/2 t-spoon coriander (pisa dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
1 t-spoon salt or to taste
1 cup of spinach leaves, pureed or chopped (Palak or saag)
1 cup water
How to make Chana Saag (Chickpea Spinach Curry):
- Keep chana in water for 6 hours before cooking it. Then cook it in a cooker by adding a pinch of salt to it. Cook until it gets soft. Remove the remaining water. Keep ity aside.
- Make a puree of tomato and onion separately using a blender.
- Take a non-stick frying pan and put oil in it. When it starts heating up put the heat to low, add onion and tomato paste to it, stir it. Cook until it gets golden brown. Stir occasionally so that it should not burnt from the bottom.
- Then, add ginger, garlic paste, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and stir it will, Continue heating for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped mustard greens and potatoes, and cook for 25 minutes on simmer heat with a cup of water,Stir well
- Now, add chickpeas and the curry is allowed to simmer for 10 minutes with the lid closed, stir occasionally.
- Serve Chana Saag hot with chapati, pulao or roti.