Green tomato chutney is very tangy in flavour due to the presence of raw tomatoes in it. The seasoning of green tomato chutney gives it the actual flavour of ginger and mustard. One more ingredient that we are using in green tomato chutney is sesame seeds which we normally don't use in other chutnies.
Ingredients for Green Tomato chutney:
3 Green Tomatoes (Kaccha tamatar)
2 whole green chillies, chopped
1 table-spoon grated ginger (adrak)
1/4 t-spoon mustard seeds (raai)
1/4 t-spoon Jeera,(Cumin)
a pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
1 t-spoon sesame seeds, roasted (Til)
1 table-spoon oil
8-10 curry leaves (Kadhi patta)
1 t-spoon sugar
salt to taste
How to make Green Tomato chutney:
- Chop green tomatoes and keep them aside.
- Take a medium size pan and heat oil in it. After a minute add chopped green tomatoes and green chillies. Cook on medium heat for 7-8 mins on medium heat by covering the pan with a lid. Turn off the heat and let this mixture get cool at room temperature.
- Now, take a grinder and add this green tomato mixture, roasted sesame seeds, ginger, sugar and salt. Grind them to form a smooth paste.
- Now, for seasoning, take a medium size pan and heat oil in it. Add cumin and mustard seeds. When mustard starts splutter, add asafoetida.
- Immediately add the grinned chutney mixture to the pan and cook on low-medium heat for 3-4 mins. so that Green tomato chutney gets thicken.
- Turn off the heat and let Green Tomato chutney gets cool at room temperature. Then transfer Green Tomato chutney to the glass bowl.