Bottle gourd is a very healthy and popular Indian vegetable. Bottle gourd is a rich souce of fiber, protein and vitamins. It is good for people who have problems with their stomach and digestive system. Bottle gourd can be served in many forms like bottle gourd curry, chutney, juice etc. Bottle gourd chutney is also known as Suraikkai Chutney or Sorakaya Pachadi.
Ingredients for Bottle Gourd chutney:
250 gms. Bottle Gourd ( Sorakaya / Lauki / Suraikkai Chutney )
1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic (Lahsun)
2 whole dry red chillies, stem removed
1/2 t-spoon urad dal (Black gram dal)
1/2 t-spoon mustard seeds (raai)
10-15 coriander leaves, finely chopped (Dhaniya patti)
15-20 curry leaves(kadhi patta)
2 t-spoon cooking oil
salt to taste
How to make Bottle Gourd chutney:
- Peel the skin of bottle gourd and chop it into small pieces. Remove the skin of garlic and crush it properly. Keep theses ingredients aside.
- Take a small frying pan and add 1 t-spoon oil to it. After a minute add crushed garlic and red chillies, turn the heat to medium and fry them uuntill they gets light brown, stir frequently.
- Add bottle gourd pieces, tuen the flame to low and cook further for 3-4 mins. Then, add tomatoes, turn the heat to medium and cook further for 3-4 mins.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves and salt, cook for a minute, then turn off the heat. Let the chutney gets cool at room temperature. Then, shift it to the blender and blend it to form a smooth paste.
- Now, take a separate frying pan and add 1 t-spoon oil to it, put the heat to medium and add mustard seeds and udad dal. When it starts splutter, add curry leaves to it and cook further for a minute. Then, add the Bottle gourd paste to the pan, stir well and cook futher for 2 mins. on medium heat. Stir frequently. Then turn off the heat.
- Bottle gourd chutney is ready to eat. Serve Bottle gourd chutney as an complement with rice, dal or roti, sabzi.