Ingredients for Bhaja Bengali Muger (Moong) Dal :
1/2 cup Moong Dal (Split Green Gram)
1 green chilly, slit
1/2 t-spoon grated ginger (Adrak)
2 table-spoon oil
1 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 bay leaf (Tej Patta)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
1/4 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
How to make Bhaja Bengali Muger (Moong) Dal :
- Wash Moong Dal 3-4 times with water and soak for 15 mins.
- Now, take a medium size pan and add 1 cup water, Muger Dal, turmeric and a pinch of salt to it, cook it over medium-high flame, with a lid closed for about 10 mins. or till Muger Dal gets cooked, but not over-boil it. Just make sure the grains remains separate and daal should not become mushy.
- Now, for tempering, take a separate pan and heat oil in it. After a minute add cumin seeds, Bay leaf, ginger and green chillies, stir it for a minute.
- Now, add coriander powder, Stir well. After a minute add Moong Dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 4-5 mins. Add water to get the desired thick Dal.
- Bhaja Bengali Muger (Moong) Dal is ready to serve.