Ingredients for Bengali Cholar (Chana) Dal :
1 cup Cholar (Chana Dal / Split Bengal Gram)
1/2 cup Coconut, Finely chopped (Narkel)
2 table-spoon, ginger paste (adrak)
1 t-spoon Sugar
4 table-spoon Mustard oil
3 1/2 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1 t-spoon turmeric, powdered (haldi)
1/2 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
2-3 Whole Red chillies (Khadi lal mirch)
1 bay leaves (Tej Patta)
1/2 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
How to make Bengali Cholar (Chana) Dal :
- Fry Coconut pieces in 2 table-spoon oil till light brown, keep it aside.
- Wash Cholar Dal with water and soak for 30 mins. Now take a pressure cooker and add 3 1/2 cup water, Cholar Dal, turmeric, powdered coriander to it and pressure cook it over medium-high heat for about 20-25 mins. or until Chana Dal gets tender.
- Now, take a large frying pan and heat 2 table-spoon Mustard oil in it over medium heat. After a minute add Bay leaf and red chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs. Then add ginger and cook for about a minute.
- Add Chana Dal mixture, red chili powder, fried coconut, sugar and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 8-10 mins. or until the Chana Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture.
- Serve Bengali Cholar (Chana) Dal hot with puri or luchi.