Ingredients for Hyderabadi Khatti Dal :
1 cup Toor Dal (Arhar / Yellow Dal )
1/2 cup Tamarind Paste (Imli ka guda)
2 tomatoes, pureed
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
4 cup water
salt to taste
For Tempering :
2 table-spoon oil
1 t-spoon chopped ginger (Adrak)
8-10 cloves garlic, chopped (lahsun)
1/2 t-spoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
4 Whole Red Chillies
15-20 Curry leaves (kadhi patti)
How to make Hyderabadi Khatti Dal :
- Pressure cook Dal with 4 cup water, tomato puree, turmeric and salt, cook it over medium-high heat for about 15 mins. or until Toor Dal gets tender. Give time to release off the pressure of Cooker naturally.
- Then, add tamarind paste to dal and cook further on low-medium flame for about 8-10 mins. with a lid closed.
- Now, for tempering, heat oil in a large frying pan and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add all the ingredients for tempering and cook on medium flame for 2-3 mins. or till garlic gets golden brown.
- Now, Pour this tempering into cooked Toor Dal mixture.
- Serve Hyderabadi Khatti Dal hot with rice.