Almond cake is a nutty cake which is rich in flavour and nutrition too! This almond cake is a soft, moist and fluffy cake with a nutty and crunchy top that makes it truly delicious. The almonds can be mixed in the batter as well as used as topping in this recipe.
Ingredients for Almond cake:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (Maida) and some more for coating almonds
1 1/4 cup sugar, powdered
3/4 cup or 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 t-spoon baking powder
2 t-spoon almond extract (if almond extract is not available then take 20-25 blanched almonds and grind them to a fine paste)
a pinch of salt (optional)
Slivered almonds for garnishing top
How to make Almond cake:
- Preheat the oven at 350o F or 180o C.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt for 2-3 times.
- Coat the slivered almonds in some flour. Doing this prevents the almonds from sinking.
- Beat the butter until soft. Add sugar and beat it on a high till soft and creamy.
- Now add the egg yolk and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the almond extract/almond paste and mix well.
- Now in a separate pan beat the egg white on a high till peaks are formed.
- Now fold in the egg white in the almond mix until well combined.
- Then, add flour and milk alternatively in batches . Fold the mixture until just combined.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the baking pan properly with butter.
- Sprinkle some flour and spread evenly by tapping the pan.
- Pour the batter in the pan. Garnish with slivered almonds.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until done.
- Cool and serve the nutty almond cake.