Vanilla cake is one of the most loved cake and is also the easiest to make. This yellow cake is the basic cake to start for the beginners and also serves as the base for making layered cakes with frosting's of one's choice. This simple to follow recipe is a regular for birthdays, parties or for everyday indulgence. This Vanilla cake recipe is a tried and tested recipe and makes for a soft, fluffy, spongy cake with a beautiful crumbly texture to it.
Ingredients for Vanilla cake:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs (at room temperature)
1 1/2 cup sugar, powdered
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (softened)
1 3/4 t-spoon Baking powder
1/2 t-spoon Vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk (at room temperature)
How to make Vanilla cake:
- First of all preheat the oven to 350o F or 180o C.
- Sift the flour and baking powder at least 2-3 times.
- Put the softened butter in a large bowl and beat it until it becomes soft (approx. 2-3 minutes). Now slowly add sugar (in batches) to the bowl and whisk it until the sugar is completely dissolved and you get a soft fluffy mixture. It will take probably 4-5 minutes.
- Now add the eggs one at a time and whisk until well combined. Keep scraping the sides of the bowl and beat the mixture until soft.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Finally add flour and milk alternatively and end it with the addition of flour. Fold the batter in only one direction preferably with a flat ladle/spatula until well incorporated. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter. Avoid over mixing the batter.
- Grease the baking pan with butter on all sides evenly. Sprinkle some flour in the pan and rotate the pan while tapping it to spread the flour evenly.
- Pour the batter in the greased pan till 3/4th volume and tap gently 2-3 times to release the trapped air-bubbles if any.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 mins or until the toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy the delicious fluffy Vanilla cake as it is or serve it after applying the frosting when cooled completely.
- Always sift the flour with baking powder so that it is evenly mixed.
- All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Make sure not to over beat the batter after the addition of flour and milk. Over-beating the batter causes the cake to sink in the middle or results in a dense cake.