Masala Vada is mostly fed in South India, specially in Andhra. The combination of several spices and herbs along with Chana Dal makes this variety of vada (Paruppu Vadai) quite spicy.
Ingredients for Masala Vada :
2 cups Chana Dal (kadalai paruppu / Split Bengal Gram)
2 onions, finely chopped
2 table-spoon Rice flour
2 table-spoon ginger, minced
10-12 garlic cloves, chopped
2 table-spoon Fennel seeds (Saunf / soambu)
6-8 green chillies, chopped
1/2 t-spoon red chilli powder
10-15 Coriander Leaves, chopped
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
How to make Masala Vada :
- Soak Chana Dal in water for 2-3 hours. Drain water and grind it with ginger, green chillies and fennel seeds. Coarsely grind it to a thick paste. Add chopped onion and grind further a bit.
- Take this mixture in a bowl and add rice flour, garlic, red chilli powder, coriander leaves and salt. Mix the batter properly with hands. Add little water, if needed.
- In a medium size pan heat oil to deep fry Masala vada. Take a handful of vada batter and give it a round shape. Press firmly with the palms of your hands to form the shape of a thin vada. Repeat the procedure for the remaining batter.
- Deep fry them at medium heat till golden-brown from both sides.
- Serve South Indian Masala Vada (Paruppu Vadai) hot with tomato sauce or chutney.