Kanji Vada Recipe
Ingredients for Kanji Vada :
For Kanji :
1/2 t-spoon red chilli powder
1/2 t-spoon Dry ginger powder (Saunth)
1/2 t-spoon chat masala
a small piece of hing (asafoetida)
salt to taste
1 jug of water (Around 5-6 cups)
For Vada :
250 grams Dhuli moong dal (Split Green Gram Lentils)
1/2 table-spoon Peppercorns, crushed (Kali Mirch)
1/2 t-spoon green chilli paste
1/2 t-spoon powdered coriander (Dhaniya Powder)
2 table-spoon chopped coriander (Dhaniya patti)
a pinch of baking powder
salt to taste
oil to deep fry
How to make Kanji Vada :
To Make Kanji :
- In a jug full of water add all the ingredients for kanji, mix them properly.
- Heat a griddle and keep a piece of hing on it. After a minute turn off the heat and put this hing in jug full of kanji water.
- Cover the jug and allow the water to ferment for 2 days, then keep it in a refrigerator.
To Make Vada :
- Soak dal in water overnight. Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a large bowl and add all the ingredients of vada in grinned dal batter. Whisk the batter with a spoon until smooth and fluffy.
- Heat oil in a large pan to deep fry Vadas. Drop a tablespoon full of vada batter in hot oil and repeat the procedure for the remaining batter. Deep fry vadas on medium flame till they appear light reddish.
- Soak vadas in plain water for 5 minutes. Squeeze gently and dip them in kanji water.
- Cover the jug with muslin / cheese cloth and keep it in sunlight for 2-3 hours.