Aloo Bonda is also known as Batata Vada in Maharashtra specifically in Mumbai region. It uses Potato filling with the covering of a chickpea flour batter.
Ingredients for Aloo Bonda Vada :
To Prepare Filling :
4 potatoes, boiled and Mashed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 table-spoon ginger paste (Adrak)
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed (Lasun)
2 green chillies, chopped
1/2 t-spoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/2 t-spoon Mustard Seeds (Rai)
1/2 t-spoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
12-15 Curry Leaves (Kadhi Patta)
1-15 Coriander leaves, chopped (Dhaniya Patti)
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry Vada
To Prepare Batter for Coating of Batata :
1 cup Besan (Chickpea flour)
1/2 t-spoon Red chilli powder
1/4 t-spoon Dhaniya Powder (Coriander Powder)
salt to taste
pinch of cooking soda
How to make Aloo Bonda Vada :
- Heat 2 table-spoon oil in a frying pan. Put the heat to low and splutter mustard seeds and cumin. Add green chillies, ginger, garlic and curry leaves, Saute for a minute. Add chopped onion and cook further for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Add Mashed potatoes, turmeric, coriander leaves and salt. Stir well and mix everything properly. Turn off the heat. Make small round balls of this potato filling.
- Now, to prepare batter to coat around this filling, in a large bowl mix all the ingredients for batter. Slowly add water and make a slightly thick batter.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan to deep fry Batata Vada. Dip the prepared potato balls one by one in a prepared batter and coat them properly with batter, put them in a hot oil and deep fry them. Cook on medium heat flame until it properly gets cooked from both sides.
- Serve Aloo Bonda (Batata Vada) Hot with green chutney, tomato sauce or Pav.