Sweet (Meethi) boondi is a very easy recipe made by dipping boondi in sugar syrup. It is relished during festivals, especially in Diwali. It can be eaten anytime and can be stored for about 1-2 weeks.
Ingredients for Sweet Boondi:
2 cups Gram Flour (Besan)
1/4 cup Water
Oil or Ghee for frying
For Sugar syrup:
4 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
4-5 Cardamoms (crushed)
6-7 Almonds (badam) (sliced thin)
7-8 Pistachios (Pista) (sliced thin)
How to make Sweet Boondi :
For Sugar syrup :
- Boil water in a pan by adding sugar to make the sugar syrup.
- Keep on boiling the till the syrup reaches 1 string consistency.
- Add crushed cardamoms and stir.
For Boondi :
- Mix the gram flour by gradually adding water in a bowl to make a thin batter without lumps. (The batter should not be too runny and should drip drop by drop when poured on a perforated spoon).
- Heat oil/ghee in a wok or kadhai.
- Put a pinch of boondi in the oil. If the boondi rises immediately on the surface, then the oil is ready for frying the boondi.
- Hold a perforated spoon over the kadhai and pour a laddle full batter on the spoon.
- Let the batter drop into the pan in the form of small droplets. Alternatively you can tap on the edge of the spoon so as allow small droplets to fall into the pan.
- Stir the boondi and fry them till they turn light orange in colour with a crispy texture.
- Take them out in a dish.
- Make as many boondi with the remaining batter by repeating the above steps.
- Drop the boondi in the sugar syrup and mix well. (The syrup should be hot when adding the boondi).
- Keep on mixing till all the boondi are coated with the sugar syrup.
- Gradually the boondi will become soft by soaking the syrup.
- Garnish with sliced almonds and pistachios.
- Boondi is ready to be eaten.
- It can be stored in an air tight container for about 2 weeks.