Petha is and Indian Sweet recipe, mostly popular in the North part India. It is popularly known as Agra ka Petha or Sweet Pumpkin as white Pumpkin is used to make Sweet Petha.
Ingredients for Petha :
500 grams Firm White Pumpkin
500 grams Sugar
1 t-spoon calcium hydroxide (kitchen lime)
1/4 t-spoon alum powder
1 cup water
How to make Petha :
- Mix alum in 1/4 cup water and keep aside.
- Peel pumpkin and cut into required size pieces. Prick each piece with a fork at close distance.
- Rub lime over the surface of the pumpkin pieces and keep them for 25-30 mins.
- Wash Pumpkin pieces under clean running water.
- Sprinkle alum water on the pieces of Pumpkin. Keep it like this for 10-15 minutes. Then, drain the alum water.
- Boil Pumpkin pieces in a heavy pan containing water, till it gets tender and soft.
- In the meanwhile, take heavy bottomed pan, dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of water and bring it to boil. Simmer till the syrup is of 1 string consistency.
- Drain pumpkin pieces from water and add it to the pan containing sugar syrup. Boil over low heat till the syrup gets thick.
- Drain out the excess syrup and cool petha pieces to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and then serve Petha.