Gulab Jamuns is an Indian Dessert, available in many variations and can be served with different ice-creams and milk rabdi. GulabJamun can also be made with or without khoya i.e using Condensed Milk or milk powder. Instead of flour we can also take bisquick powder. We give you details of preparation and easy making of gulab jamun below.
Ingredients for Gulab Jamun:
500 gms. khoya or 250 gms. milk powder (Khoya preferably)
125 gms. all purpose flour (Maida)
250 gms. sugar
1/4 cup milk or (2 table-spoon Condensed milk and water each)
250 gms. ghee (Clarified butter)
10-15 saffron strands (Kesar)
1/4 t-spoon cardamom powder (elaichi)
1/4 t-spoon baking soda
How to make Gulab Jamun:
- Collapse the khoya (or milk powder what ever you are using). Add flour and soda together in khoya. Add cardamom to it
- Powder and crush the saffron strands and add it to the mixture. Mix well to form a soft dough between fingers. Use as much milk as required for kneading. Make balls of even size.
- To make the syrup, take the sugar in a heavy pan and add water to just cover the sugar. Boil it for 5-10 mins, stir till it starts getting viscose.
- Boil it till, while dropping from a spoon it falls in a thin single thread.
- Heat the ghee very well in a thick bottom pan. Take off fire and cool a little. Let in some of the balls.
- When they rise up put back on fire and fry till medium brown. Remove from ghee and put in the syrup. Soak for 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a glass bowl.
- Repeat for all the balls. When done pour the remaining syrup over the jamuns.
- Serve hot gulab jamuns or cool to room temperature. It can also be served after refrigerating for half hour with vanila ice cream.