Upma is a traditional south Indian breakfast dish made from semolina (Sooji). It can be eaten as a regular breakfast or evening snack. Upma is served with lime pickle, sugar or coconut chutney. It may also be taken plain.
Ingredients for Sooji/Rawa Upma:
1 cup Semolina (Sooji / Rava)
1 medium sized Onion, finely chopped
1 table-spoon split Chana dal
1 table-spoon split Urad dal
1/2 inch ginger (grated or finely chopped)
2 Green chillies (finely chopped)
1 tea-spoon Mustard seeds
1 stalk Curry leaves
6-7 Cashewnuts (split)
2 1/2 cup Water
2 table-spoon Oil
Salt to taste
How to make Sooji/Rawa Upma:
- In a pan, add the semolina and roast it on medium flame until roasted smell wafts. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and fry till they turn light brown in colour.
- Add cashewnuts and fry till they get browned a little.
- Now add green chillies, curry leaves and onions and cook till the onions become soft and translucent.
- Add salt and pour water.
- When the water comes to a boil, lower the flame and add the roasted semolina slowly.
- Keep on stirring the rava as you add it (Make sure not to add semolina at once or it will form lumps).
- Continue with the stirring as the semolina will start to absorb water and thicken. Kepp on stirring till it becomes light and fluffy
- Serve hot with sugar or pickle or coconut chutney.