Ingredients for Dal Rasam :
1 cup Toor Dal (Arhar / Yellow Dal )
1 tomato, chopped
2 table-spoon Tamarind extract (Imli ka guda)
12-15 Curry Leaves (Kadhi Patta)
2 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
2 table-spoon oil
4 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1 t-spoon Rasam Powder (How to make Rasam Powder)
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
a pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
1/2 t-spoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
How to make Dal Rasam :
- Wash Toor Dal 3-4 times with water and soak for 30 mins.
- Now, Pressure cook it with 4 cup water, turmeric and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium-high flame for about 15 mins. or until Dal gets tender.
- Now boil 1/2 cup water in a separate pan and add tomato, coriander leaves, tamarind extract and rasam powder. Boil it until water reduce to its half and tomato gets tender.
- Now, put cooked dal in this pan and cook further on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Now, for seasoning, heat oil in a pan and add mustard leaves, asafoetida and curry leaves. Put this seasoning in the pan containing Dal Rasam.
- Serve Dal Rasam hot with rice.