Punjabi Chana Dal Recipe
Punjabi Chana Dal Recipe is the most popular Punjabi dal. It can be served with roti or rice.
Ingredients for Punjabi Chana Dal:
1 cup (250 gms.) Chana Dal (Gram lentils)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 table-spoon, grated ginger (adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
1/2 t-spoon cumin powdered (jeera)
2/3 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon pepper
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
1 piece Cinnamon stick (dal chini)
2-3 Cloves (Laung)
1 Bayleaf (Tej patta)
2 table-spoon oil
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
2 cup water
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
salt to taste
How to make Punjabi Chana Dal:
- Wash Chana Dal 3-4 times with water and keep it in a bowl. Add enough water to cover Chana Dal and soak for 30 mins. After 30 mins. drain water from the bowl.
- Now, take a thick bottom pan and add 2 cup water, Chana Dal, turmeric, pepper, powdered cumin and coriander to it and cook it over medium-high heat. Bring it to boil. Now reduce the heat to low, cover it with a lid and simmer for about 45-50 mins. or until Chana Dal and Punjabi gets cooked.
- Now, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat. After a minute add cumin seeds, Cinnamon stick, Cloves and Bayleaf. Stir it for 15-30 secs.Then add onion, ginger, garlic and cook for about 4-5 mins. stirring continuously.
- When it changes its color add Chana Dal mixture to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 10-15 mins. or until the Chana Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture.
- Now add garam masala, stir well and further cook for 2 mins. Then, turn off the heat.
- Serve Punjabi Chana Dal hot with rice, pulao or roti and garnish Chana Dal with chopped coriander leaves.