Besan Pakoda is a quick and simple evening snack that is enjoyed especially during monsoons. It tastes nice with dhania chutney, sweet tamarind (imli) chutney or tomato sauce.
Ingredients for Besan ke Pakode :
1 cup Gram flour (besan)
1 1/2 t-spoon coriander powder (pisa dhania)
1/2 t-spoon red chilli powder (lal mirch)
2 chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
1 t-spoon salt or to taste
3/4 cup of water (Use water as needed)
1 potato (sliced thin)
6-7 slices of cauliflower (Remove the florets of gobi, dip them in hot water then spread them on a plate for the water to get drained)
1 onion (sliced thin)
Oil for deep frying
How to make Besan Pakora:
To Prepare a Batter:
- Mix together besan, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter without lumps (batter should have the consistency of pancake batter or dosa batter)
- Add the green chilies and cilantro. Mix well.
To Make Pakora:
- Heat the oil in a kadhai or frying pan on medium high heat.
- Dip the vegetable pieces in the batter so as to coat them and fry these pieces in the oil one by one (Care should be taken not to heat oil too much as pakoras will immediately change colour in hot oil).
- Turn the flame to low. Fry till they turn golden-brown all over. The pakoras will take about 4-5 minutes to cook.
- Serve the hot besan pakoras with dhaniya chutney or sweet tamarind (imli) chutney or tomato sauce.