Kala (Black) Chana Masala Recipe
Ingredients for Kala (Black) Chana Masala :
250 grams Kala Chana (Black or Brown)
2 onions, slicely chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 t-spoon ginger paste (Adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
10-15 coriander leaves, chopped (dhaniya patti)
4 table-spoon oil
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon kasoori methi
1/2 t-spoon coriander (pisa dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric (haldi)
How to make Kala (Black) Channa Masala :
- Keep Kala Chana in water for 6 hours before cooking it. Then cook it in a pressure cooker by adding a pinch of salt to it. Cook until it gets soft. Drain water and keep it aside (don't throw it)
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and put oil in it. Saute Onions on medium heat.
- Then, add cumin, tomato, ginger and garlic paste. Cook further on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, methi and chili powder and stir it well. Cook further on low heat for couple of minutes.
- Add Kala Chana to the pan. Along with that add 1/2 cup of drained water and cook until water is completely absorbed and becomes a thick masala. Close it with a lid while cooking. Stir occasionally.
- Just before 2 minutes of completion, add garam masala and turmeric powder to the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle Punjabi Black Channa masala with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapati.