Chana Masala is a very popular North Indian vegan (vegetarian) recipe. It is also known as dry chole (Chhole) masala gravy with aloo. To make it more spicy, increase the quantity of red chilli powder. White channa or popularly known as kabuli channa is used for the recipe. Given below is an easy, best and simple recipe to make authentic chana masala in restaurant style.
Ingredients for Chana (Chole) Masala :
250 gms. Chickpeas (Chana / Chole)
1 potato (Aloo)
1 t-spoon ginger paste (Adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
10-15 coriander leaves, chopped (dhaniya patti)
4 table-spoon oil
1/2 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin (jeera)
1 cinnamon stick
1 tej patta
3-4 peppercorn (Khadi kali mirch)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon chana masala powder
1/2 t-spoon coriander (pisa dhaniya)
1/2 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric (haldi)
How to make Channa (Chole) Masala :
- Keep chana in water for 6 hours before cooking it. Then cook it in a cooker by adding a pinch of salt to it. Cook until it gets soft.
- Boil potato in a cooker and cut them into small cubes. Make a puree of tomato and onion separately using a blender.
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and put oil in it. When it starts heating up put the heat to low, add onion paste, peppercorn, tej patta and cinnamon stick to it, stir it. Cook on low-medium heat until onion gets golden brown. Stir occasionally so that it should not burnt from the bottom.
- Then, add tomato, ginger and garlic paste. Cook further on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, chana masala powder, cumin and chili powder and stir it well. Cook further on low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add potatoes and chana to the pan. Along with that add 1/2 cup of water more and cook until water is completely absorbed and becomes a thick gravy. Close it with a lid while cooking. Stir occasionally.
- Just before 2 minutes of completion, add garam masala and turmeric powder to the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle Channa (Chole) masala with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapati.