Sweet Potato Kheer recipe is also known as Shakarkandi Kheer recipe.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Kheer:
1 medium sized Sweet Potato (Shakarkandi)
1 liter Whole milk
1 table-spoon Fine vermicelli (Seviyan)
1/4 t-spoon cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
5-6 pieces unsalted pistachios (pista)
5 almonds (Badam)
8-10 pieces raisins (Kishmish)
10-15 strands saffron, crushed, soaked in 1 tsp. warm milk (Kesar) (optional)
1 t-spoon ghee
4 table-spoon sugar or to taste
How to make Sweet Potato Kheer:
- Steam cook sweet potato in a pressure cooker until 3 to 4 whistles. Then, peel the cooked sweet potato and finely grate it.
- Take ghee in a small fry pan and heat it for a minute, then add vermicelli to it and cook on low heat untill vermicelli gets light pink. Then, turn off the heat and keep vermicelli aside.
- Crush and soak the saffron strands in 1 t-spoon warm milk. Crush almonds and pistachios coarsely or slice them properly.
- Heat milk in a pan, bring it to boil. Put the heat to medium and boil it for 10 mins.
- Then, add grated Sweet Potato to the pan, stir gently and simmer for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add vermicelli, sugar, raisins, cardamom, saffron, almonds and pistachios. Stir it well until the sugar grains disappear in milk. Then, turn off the heat.
- Serve Sweet Potato Kheer hot or let it get cool at room temperature. You can also refrigerate Sweet Potato kheer for 1 hour and serve it cool.