Kadala Curry Recipe
Ingredients for Kadala Curry :
250 grams Kadala (Kala / Black Chana)
2 onions, chopped
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
1/2 cup grated coconut
4 table-spoon sliced coconut
15-20 curry leaves
4 table-spoon coconut oil
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 t-spoon curry powder
3-4 Red chillies
1/2 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
1/2 t-spoon coriander powder (pisa dhaniya)
1 t-spoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
How to make Kadala Curry :
- Keep Kadala in water for 6 hours. Then, cook it in a pressure cooker by adding a pinch of salt to it. Cook until it gets soft. Don't throw the water after cooking it.
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and heat coconut oil in it. Saute Onions and mustard seeds on medium heat.
- Then, add red chillies, curry leaves and garlic paste. Cook further on low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, curry powder, turmeric and chili powder, stir it well. Cook further on low heat for couple of minutes.
- Add coconut (grated and sliced) and kadala along with water in which you have boiled Kadala. Along with that add 1/2 cup of water more and cook on medium flame until you get the desired thick curry, add some more water if needed. Close it with a lid while cooking.
- Serve Kerala Kadala Curry hot with chapathi, Puttu and Appam.