Kadala curry is a delicious spicy curry made from Black bengal gram or kala chana. It is a very popular breakfast dish of Kerala and is tradionally enjoyed with 'puttu' (Steamed rice delicacy).
Since it is a spicy curry it also taste wonderful with appam, dosa and chapatis. Since South Indians love having coconut in their food, kadala curry also incorporates coconut in it.It is a no-fuss, easy to prepare recipe that is not only nutritive but tasty also.
Ingredients for Kadala Curry :
250 grams Kadala (Kala / Black Chana)
2 onions, chopped
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
1/2 cup grated coconut
4 table-spoon sliced coconut
15-20 curry leaves
4 table-spoon coconut oil
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala powder
3-4 Dry red chillies
1 t-spoon chilli powder (Lal Mirch)
2 t-spoon coriander powder (pisa dhaniya)
1 t-spoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
How to make Kadala Curry :
- Keep Kadala in water for 6 hours. Then, cook it in a pressure cooker by adding a pinch of salt to it. Cook until it gets soft. Don't discard the water after cooking it.
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and heat coconut oil in it. Saute onions and mustard seeds on medium heat.
- Then, add red chillies, curry leaves and garlic paste. Cook further on low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and stir it well. Cook further on low heat for couple of minutes.
- Add coconut (grated and sliced), garam masala and kadala (chana) along with water in which you have boiled Kadala.
- Add more water if required and cook on medium flame until you get the desired thick curry. Close it with a lid while cooking.
- Serve Kerala Kadala Curry hot with chapathi, Puttu and Appam.