Ingredients for Idli :
4 cups Idli Rice
2 cups Normal Rice
2 cups Dhuli Urad Dal (split black lentils withour skin)
Oil for greasing
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
How to make idli :
To Make Idly Batter :
- Combine both types of rice, wash them properly and soak overnight.
- Wash Urad dal with water 3-4 times and soak it overnight in sufficient water.
- Next Morning, combine dal and rice, grind them to a smooth paste to a thick consistency batter.
- Now, add salt to this batter and keep it in a warm place for 5-6 hours for fermenting. (At the time of winter, fermentation may take upto 8 hours).
To Cook Idlis :
- Take a idli Mould (Idly Holder) and grease it with little oil.
- Fill the mould up to its 3/4th with fermented batter.
- Steam cook Idlis on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until it gets cooked properly from inside.
- Remove them immediately from the mould.
- South Indian Idlis are ready to serve with Sambar and Chutney.