Gajar ka Halwa also known as carrot pudding is a dessert, can be made with many variations according to the different milk product used i.e. Milkmaid, Khoya Or Condensed Milk or the combination of any of them.
Ingredients for Gajar ka Halwa:
1 kg carrots (Gajar)
500 gms sugar
1 & 1/2 liter milk or (250 gms khoya with 1/2 liter milk) or ( 200 gm milkmaid with 1/2 liter milk)
5 pieces pista
1 t-spoon ghee
10-15 flakes saffron (kesar)
1/4 t-spoon cardamom powder (elaichi)
How to cook Gajar ka Halwa:
- Peel and grate carrots (Gajar).
- Put milk (milkmaid or khoya, if any) and Gajar in a heavy saucepan. Boil it, stir it every 2 mins.
- Once it starts thickening add ghee, stir continuously.
- Add sugar and cook further till thickens. Add elaichi and saffron.
- Stir halwa on low heat for 2 mins.
- Serve hot Gajar ka Halwa or cool to room temperature, sprinkle it with chopped pista and ground elaichi.