Ingredients for Gujarati Moong Dal Vada :
1 cup Dhuli Moong Dal (Split Green Gram)
2-3 potatoes, boiled
1 table-spoon ginger, minced (Adrak)
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1 t-spoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
a pinch each of asafoetida and baking soda
8 to 10 coriander leaves, finely chopped (Dhaniya patta)
Oil for frying
salt to taste
How to make Moong Dal Vada :
- Peel potatoes and mash them properly. Keep this mixture aside.
- Soak Moong dal in water for 4-5 hours. Drain water and coarsely grind moong dal with little water.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to this batter along with mashed potatoes and mix them properly with hands. Add little water if needed. The batter should be of suitable consistency to make Moong dal vadas.
- In a medium size pan heat oil to deep fry vadas. Take a handful of vada batter and give it a round shape. Deep fry wada in oil at medium heat till golden brown from both sides.
- Serve Gujarati Moong Dal Vada hot with chutney.