Masala Dosa is one of the best and very famous South Indian Recipe. The Crispy outer crust of the dosa is filled with Restaurant Style Potato or Aloo Masala Filling and served with any type of South Indian Chutney along with Sambar. Although it is South Indian (Kerala, Andhra, Tamil, Mysore) Recipe but still you can find its presence in almost every part of India specially in every hotels.
Ingredients for Masala Dosa :
2 cups Idli rice
1 cup Normal rice
1 cup Urad dal
salt to taste
1 1/2 table-spoon Oil to make each dosa
For Masala Filling :
4 Potatoes (Aloo)
2 Onions, chopped
2 table-spoon Chana Dal
3-4 Green chillies, chopped
1 t-spoon Mustard seeds (Rai)
1 t-spoon Haldi Powder (Turmeric Powder)
2 table-spoon oil
salt to taste
How to make Masala Dosa :
Prepare a Dosa Batter :
- Mix Rice and urad dal, wash them with water 4-5 times. Soak them in water for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain water and grind the mixture to a very fine paste. Add salt and mix the batter properly.
- Cover it and keep in at room temperature, allow it to ferment for 12 hours or overnight. Keep it in a large bowl with only half filled with the grinned mixture.
- Next Morning, the batter will rise from its position and becomes very creamy. This shows that it got fermented (Khameer) properly.
Prepare the Potato Masala Filling :
- Boil Potatoes, peel them and mash properly.
- Heat 2 table-spoon oil in a thick bottom pan. Add mustard seeds, onion, chana dal, haldi powder and green chili. Fry on medium heat until they get light brown.
- Add mashed potatoes to the pan and mix properly. Cook further for 2-3 mins. by mixing the masala filling continuously.
- Masala Filling is ready to use.
Make Masala Dosa :
- Heat Dosa tava or non-stick flat pan over medium-high flame. Sprinkle few drops of water to check whether the pan is sufficiently hot or not. When the water drops starts cracking, rub the pan with a cloth.
- Now spread 1 table-spoon of oil on the pan. Take 1/4 cup of dosa batter and spread it properly in circular motion to form a circle on a hot pan. This will form a thin outer crust of dosa.
- Add 1/2 table-spoon oil more on the dosa crust. After 2 minutes or so, you will find brown spots on dosa. Immediately, smear or spread 2 table-spoon of Potato Masala Filling on the surface of Dosa and flip the 2 sides of the dosa one over the other such that the Masala Filling is covered.
- Crispy Masala Dosa is ready to serve with chutney and Sambar.