Toor (Tur) Dal is one of my favourite among all dal recipes. It is known by many names in different parts of India like Tuvar, Toovar, Bengali Style, Yellow (Peeli) Daal and most popularly Arhar ki Daal. It is one of the simple and easy dal to make and best among all other lentils.
Ingredients for Toor (Arhar) Dal :
1 cup Toor Dal (Arhar / Yellow Dal )
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
8-10 cloves garlic, chopped (lahsun)
2 table-spoon oil
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
4 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
2/3 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
1/4 t-spoon garam masala
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Toor (Arhar) Dal :
- Wash Toor Dal 3-4 times with water and keep it in a bowl. Add enough water to cover Toor Dal and soak for 30 mins. After 30 mins. drain water from the bowl.
- Now, take a Pressure cooker and add 4 cup water, Toor Dal, turmeric and a pinch of salt to it, cook it over medium-high heat and pressure cook for about 15 mins. or until Toor Dal gets tender.
- Now, for the tadka, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds and chopped green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs.Then add onion, garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring continuously. Add, chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- Now, add Red Chilli Powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir well.
- After a minute add Toor Dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 10-15 mins. or until the Toor Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture.
- Serve Toor (Arhar) Dal hot with rice, pulao or roti and garnish Toor Dal with chopped coriander leaves.